a doula is a person who provides emotional, physical and educational support to individuals and families through pregnancy, childbirth, postpartum and loss.
The birth of your child is a remarkable time and transition in your life. In our society and our culture we put a lot of fear surrounding childbirth. From women screaming in pain in hospital television shows. To shared stories by families and friends.
As your doula, I cannot take away the pain or perceived pain out of childbirth. But what I can do is educate you and your partner on the birth process, teach you hands on comfort measures, provide you with expert resources, and support you during and after birth.
What is a doula?
A doula is a birth professional who provides support to expecting families during pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum. Doulas offer a range of services, check with your doula on the services he/she offers.
Is a doula right for me?
Doulas provide families with a wealth of information and unbiased support. Some ways a doula can benefit you:
- You want continuous, one-on-one labor support
- Your partner wants to be empowered and offer maximum support
- You and your partner want to learn and practice hands on comfort measures
- You want guidance creating your birth plan
- You want up-to-date, unbiased information
- You want access to expert resources
- You want an informed and empowered experience
What are the benefits of working with a doula?
Research shows that:
- Women who give birth with a doula have a lower risk of cesarean section.
- More likely to give birth spontaneously and without the use of vacuum or forceps
- Have shorter labors and overall positive birth experience