It is no surprise that practicing yoga during pregnancy, has many benefits for both mom and baby. Additionally, the benefits of prenatal yoga go beyond pregnancy and birth.
I am here to share with you 5 of the many benefits of prenatal yoga.
1. Improve quality of sleep - This is the most common benefit I hear from my prenatal yoga students. "After attending prenatal yoga class, I sleep so much better."
2. Safe exercise - Unlike regular group fitness classes, prenatal yoga is customized for the mom-to-be. Many prenatal yoga teachers attend additional teacher trainings specific to pregnancy and childbirth.
3. Relieve discomfort - Growing a new human is no easy task! Your body is changing, shifting, and expanding every day. Prenatal yoga may help to ease low back pain, static nerve discomfort and increase overall flexibility.
4. Reduce stress and anxiety - For many of us, there is a lot of fear surrounding pregnancy and childbirth. Prenatal yoga helps us to slow down and connect with our breath and body. Through this process we start to stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system and activate the body's Relaxation Response.
5. Community - Finding a supportive community before the birth of your baby is vital. Motherhood can feel like an isolating place. Having a community were you can share experiences, mom hacks, and someone to talk to when you feel like you need extra support.